Wednesday, March 27, 2013

An imperfect world

We live in a horribly imperfect world, where newborn babies die and dishwasher drains get blocked.

I hope you're a bit shocked that I could put those two together in one thought.
The thing is, that blocked drain can seem like the worst thing that could possibly happen - especially if it's just one more thing gone wrong while you're trying to get ready for work. 

Unless, of course, you've lost a loved one.
Then, every other worry seems quite insignificant.

My day started off normal enough. Still need to see how much damage has been done by last night's heavy rain. Apart from the driveway lights tripping the mains in the middle of the storm, we always have trouble with erosion as well. I sent a slightly sick kid off to school for his last day of the term. Hubby is fixing a car-problem. A giant cockroach was heading down the passage. The kitchen work-top was covered in ants ... had to get rid of them before I could even think about doing anything in the kitchen ... And the dishwasher was blocked!

Then I heard the sad news that a friend's newborn baby passed away early this morning.
I can't begin to imagine how much that must hurt.

Suddenly all my sh!t seemed so trivial.

I don't know how to comfort her. "She's in a safe place", true as it may be, doesn't help a grieving parent.

There must be something better than this life, where birth and death can sometimes be just hours apart. Where dirt and bugs get in. Where parts break, and rust and rot eat away at everything. Where people kill and steal in the name of their country or their religion.

There must be a place of perfection, love and peace. I have to believe that.

Lord Jesus, come quickly! 
I know, people have been calling for His return for two thousand years. It might not happen in my lifetime!

In the meanwhile, I have to think like a dung beetle ...
When life gives you sh!t, just roll with it!

1 comment:

  1. I have studied the words of Jesus in the gospels very extensively. I can say quite confidently that all the ills of this world are caused by our refusal to knock, seek, and then also accept the Truth when we find it. Irrational immoral outcomes do not come about when we are rooted in Truth. The lack of Truth is ignorance, and ignorance is the root of all error and all sin. This is why we see so much evil in the world. Truth is the highest moral summit of enlightenment. Without Truth not even Love can exist. This is true for Love between individuals just as it is for humanity collectively as a species. As we walk in blindness we walk in darkness to a fated end. I can tell you the Truth, but in a world of lies the light is so bright it blinds. I think that whoever is responsible for those red letters in the gospels was clearly a genius. We, however, are too socially conditioned to contradictions and exalted theology to see. We are not as enlightened as the speaker to see. “For this reason I have been born, and for this reason I have come into the world, that I should testify to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice.” (John 18:37). “Therefore I speak to them in parables, because seeing they do not see, and hearing, they do not hear, neither do they understand. And in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled, which says, “By hearing you will hear, and will in no way understand; Seeing you will see, and will in no way perceive: for this people’s heart has grown callous, and their ears are dull of hearing, and they have closed their eyes; or else perhaps they might perceive with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their heart, and should turn again; and I would heal them. But blessed are your eyes, for they see; and your ears, for they hear. For truly I tell you that many prophets and righteous men desired to see the things which you see, and did not see them; and to hear the things which you hear, and did not hear them” (Mat 13:13-17). Read Plato's Allegory of the Cave when you can find the time. Truth is always killed, but the truth cannot be killed. Truth cannot die. It always is born again. Root Truth never changes. God is Truth. The depth of the message of Jesus Christ still exists in the gospels and is still a threat to the established religious authorities even to this very day.

    ReplyDelete